I’ve never been much of a green thumb, but I’ve managed to keep my little fiddle leaf tree alive for a couple months, so I like to think that maybe I’m learning a thing or two.
And with the fiddle leaf still alive and well, I thought I’d take a shot at growing some herbs next. I like the idea of having a few of the staples on hand – I don’t know about you, but the majority of any herbs I buy from the grocery store always end up going to waste before I can use them up.
After a trip to our local garden center, I came home with some basil, cilantro, thyme, and lavender – the first three I cook with frequently, I grabbed the lavender just because I looove the smell of lavender – and I picked up a cute little plant (angel vine maybe?) for fun. 🙂 And I was feeling creative so I grabbed a few inexpensive terra cotta pots too.
I love terra cotta pots, but orange is not really my color, so I decided to give these pots a new look. I started by giving each pot a coat of light gray chalk paint (I used a color called Twig by Vintage Market & Design).
Once that was dry I topped each pot with a coat of white chalk paint (Lace, also by Vintage Market & Design). You could certainly stop at one coat, but I decided I wanted a little more coverage so I did a second coat of white paint.
I let the paint dry overnight and went back the next day to sand off some of the white paint to give these pots a more distressed look.
I am not gonna lie, sanding these pots gave me a run for my money. I had actually wanted a much more distressed look, but that paint did not want to budge in most spots – and then in others, it all came off completely – so I did what I could and called it a day. I found using a dampened sanding sponge worked the best for removing the white paint, but leaving the gray exposed and not going all the way through to the orange of the pot.
After I was happy (enough) with the distressing, I decided I wanted to add labels. I grabbed a little stamp set I received for Christmas a few years ago (this one came from Pottery Barn, but I’ve seen similar sets at craft stores), and a black ink pad and set about stamping each pot with the name of each herb.
And for the cute little plant I just stamped the word “grow”.
I didn’t care that the letters did not turn out perfectly placed, perfectly straight, or perfectly stamped – I feel like that’s part of the charm.
I then filled each pot with their respective herbs and called it a day. Quick and easy project complete. 🙂
I didn’t put much thought into this before I started, so I wasn’t thinking of where I would keep these cute little potted herbs…and we don’t get much sun in our house…
So, I currently have these sitting on a random work bench that’s hanging out in our still unfinished sun porch in hopes of keeping them alive. But I can definitely see them in some sort of cute display and becoming part of the décor once that room is finished.
If I don’t kill them first, anyway… 😉
Have a great weekend!!